Monday, August 16, 2010

Nesterov and Monasticism



This is a picture by Russian painter Mikhail Nesterov. I have posted it here because it contains a mood or a feeling that is similar to the hopes I have for Alaska.

I fly north on Friday and, God willing, will be at a monastery on an island in Alaska next Thursday. I hope to stay at the monastery for up to a month, in quiet contemplation and prayer, sometimes in manual labor, but also struggling with the thoughts and feelings that pull and torment (as thoughts and feelings often do). I hope to find the center of my soul, a direction for my life, and a foundation to my faith.

It is true, this is a large agenda for only a month long stay, but if anything, I have hope that I am starting a journey that may take my whole life. I am excited for this, life, and the next month trapped with myself and pulled out of myself by God and my surrounding fellowship.

4 comments:

  1. i wish you the best, and hope you find what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What island in Alaska? My best friend just moved to Alaska. Well, I keep you in my prayers and thoughts. Take care and remember God always has your back!

    ReplyDelete