Friday, July 16, 2010

Eating My Way through Mexico: Pan Dulces


When you lose up to 10 lbs within the first 5 days of your trip abroad, one can then take the liberty to eat whatever appears good, healthy or not. My sins are hamburgeusas de la calle at night and pan dulces with chocolate caliente in the morning. While this diet is high in everything that tries to choke your arteries and stop your heart, I seem to be getting away with it because:

1) everywhere I go I walk, and sometimes this means whole days of walking in the rain.

2) I lost a lot of weight and developed food adversions to random tastes, leaving me happy when I can eat anything at all.

3) at least once a week food exists my body in a hasteful way through one manner or another. I will leave the details to your imaginations.

I have already described the gloriousness of hamburgeusas, so now I will talk about pan dulces. For 40 cents or less, you can choose from shelves and shelves of sweet breads covered in sugar (the classic pan dulce), filled with frutas and jams of every color, or slathered in and folded around cream. I have made it my goal over the next month to try each of these delicious pastries. But where is one to start with such a task? I wonder, as I gaze at shelves of deliciousness.

Lucky for me, my favorite panaderia comes equipped with a way to help the wayward traveler decide. Wasps cover the sweetest and most wonderful tasting pastries. As one walks among the shelves, they can brave a fight with the wasps for sweet rolls with raisens or empanadas filled with pineapple jam. Although the task is dangerous, this method of decision making has not failed to leave me with the best tasting breakfast. And the wasps love variety. Every morning a different pastery is featured. When the wasp infestation is brought to the attention of the bakery staff, they just laugh and say muy dulce- very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment