Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Eating My Way through Mexico: Hamburgeusas


I have a confession to make. I am in an unhealthy love relationship with hamburgeusas. Every night around 8:00, when the food carts make their appearance in the plaza, the scent of heaven wafts over the city. Outside my own will, I am called to the carts with hundreds of Mexicans.

Art starts with lower than grade-A meat fried in butter. Something that looks like boloni and imitation bacon join the hamburger patty on the grill. More butter is added to fry the bun, top and bottom, inside and outside. Throughout the night, fresh bread is sold to the hamburger stands by señoras with large garbage bags full of buns. Meat and cheese are placed on a bed of tomatoes, onions, and lettuce before slathered in mayonnaise con lima, ketchup, mustard, and picante. The ending result is a masterpiece of culinary perfection.

This relationship is unhealthy not because I find myself craving this fatty meal every night, but because this could be the leading cause to my continued stomach infection on this trip. However, some sacrifices are worth making and as iron is purified in fire, so must my stomach become accustomed to hamburgeusas.

2 comments:

  1. DELICIOSO!!!!
    One of the main ways you might be getting sick is through any fruit or vegetable washed in non-purified water. You might want to ask the vendors if their lechuga and jitomates are washed with microdyne, or ask them to hold them if they're not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the advice, Sarah. However, I find myself adopting many Mexican attitudes towards life. One of them is a strong sense of fatalism and the inability to change current situations. Although I probably shouldn´t, I´ve come to terms with the fact that I will feel slightly ill after every meal and throw up about once a week. I suppose I will fix it all when I come home.

    ReplyDelete